Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Get Hype For Jesus

So we have found out that our mode of transportation for the remaining weeks is a 15 passenger van. Ya know those huge ones. It's really very funny when you think that back at home you need a special license to drive one and here we already are learning how :)


Today at training we went through the Roman Road It's a series of verses that is helpful when trying to explain to someone the "steps" to salvation. The discussion got real in depth and a lot of questions were asked. It was really great kind of seeing where the other counselors were at in their walks. There were a lot of questions that really needed to be addressed which was good. We spent the majority of the day taking apart and studying scripture, like several hours. It was very cool. 

We then had a few hours of down time after the meeting and before dinner. This looks like it will happen the majority of the time here and during this time we don't have the van for transportation, so it's a good time for relaxing, hanging out with whoever is at the church at the time, and studying. Me and these two younger boys Mark and Scooter played soccer in the church lobby...not so smart, we broke a stand that was holding up papers but I don't think anybody knows, we fixed it pretty quickly :)

Then at 7 was the churches midweek service. The worship was so much fun and energized, exactly what I picture in my mind when I think of worship in a southern black church. LOVED IT!  Afterwards our group went for a second meal at the famous Waffle House. I don't really know why it's famous but I guess in Louisiana it's a big deal. It was delicious might I add!

Well we really have been doing great and slowly getting to know the other counselors. Our place here is slowly becoming more and more apparent. The relationships that we are going to build have already become strong with some people, I can't even imagine how it's going to be a couple weeks from now. I still can't fully grasp how long we're really going to be here! I really pray God can help us to use our time wisely and for his kingdom.

Two more days of training.
We say goodbye to Sarah on Friday.
Praise Yoga on Saturday :)
Church BBQ Sunday.
Camp starts Monday!!!

-Alisha

 

2 comments:

Old Skool said...

Hey 'yall!
This is Travis (and Annette)and we are SO EXCITED for what God will do IN and THROUGH you in Louisiana. We're proud of you and we love you. I want God to draw you: 1) near to Him 2) near to each other 3) near to others. Remember: this is an ADVENTURE!!
(Annette says:)Seeing your pictures and hearing your stories brings back such vivid memories of my New Orleans experience. Yay for Coffees! Anyone else get the runs from too many hush puppies and goosey cake? Did you find the bayou? I love that relationships have already begun with the people of Covington. It's such a privelage to witness what God is doing in you. Thanks for blogging kids, we love you and miss you...
(Travis says:) I'm so embarrassed my wife talked about the "runs"...sorry, kids.
T-Bone

Pam AKA Alisha's Mom said...

It is wonderful to be able to share this experience with you. Reading all your stories and pictures!! Different perspectives...yet all with the same objective to make a difference! Continue to inspire and be inspired. You are all such special souls and we are proud of you all....Stay safe in your journey of the unknown....I am sure the best is yet to come!You will continue be in our thoughts and prayers.
Love
mom